The start of a new year offers the chance for a clean plate for many of us. Nothing is so pure as waking up on the very first morning of the new year with ambitious intentions, a positive mindset and, of course, a New Year’s Resolution to accomplish. Unfortunately, this is where many of us make our first mistake of the new year, dragging in the unaccomplished hopes and dreams of the previous year and pinning them at the top of our New Year’s to-do list.
There is nothing wrong with creating a resolution in an attempt to kick a bad habit out of your life or introduce a positive one into it. However, it is extremely frustrating and disappointing when you fail to meet this resolution, falling short of your promise to yourself.
Resolution is defined as “a firm decision to do or not do something.” A serious, black and white commitment to do or not to do. This works, until it doesn’t. Committing oneself to either do or not do something every day for an entire year is almost certainly committing oneself to failure – resolutions are vague, overwhelming and provide little accountability.
Peak Performance Physical Therapy prefers the more effective act of dedicating oneself to a revolution. A revolution can be summarized as “a sudden, radical or complete change.” Committing yourself to a revolution is committing to a fundamental change in the way you think about, visualize and perform any activity. Starting a revolution in your life allows you to overthrow the failed resolutions of past years, vanquish your excuses and conquer your New Year’s goals.
The Peak Performance Revolution is meant to help you achieve your New Year’s goal in the very first month of the year. In order to do this you will have to set a S.M.A.R.T. goal, which is explained in detail below:
- Specific – Set a clear and sensible goal, start with the five “W” questions: What is your goal? Who does it involve? Where will you accomplish it? When will you work on it? Why do you want to accomplish this goal?
- Measurable – Make sure you can track your progress and have a clear understanding of what accomplishing your goal looks like.
- Achievable – Your goal should be reasonable and attainable. Don’t set the bar too low or too high for yourself, find a balance.
- Relevant – Make sure your goal aligns with your lifestyle and what you believe in.
- Time-Bound – Goals need completion dates, and yours with be the end of January for the New Year’s Revolution!
The Peak Performance Revolution registration form was built to help guide you in your goal setting efforts. Once you have visited the registration form and set your S.M.A.R.T. goal, it’s time to commit and get to work! Peak Performance will help start a revolution in your life by offering reminders, tips and incentives throughout your journey this January!
Create your S.M.A.R.T. Goals!